Last summer I attended an estate sale in Brooklyn and purchased a small wooden cabinet for less than $50. As I am finally up and about after giving birth three weeks ago I decided to "Pimp My Cabinet".
I made a trip to Home Depot for paint card samples (for my vendors) and spray paint.
I decided to have a silver metallic base with a mermaid fin like pattern over.
(1) I used sand paper to smooth some of the rough edges of the cabinet. Once this was done I used a mild spray cleaner and a paper towel to wipe off any dust particles.
(2) Using my silver spray paint I covered the entire cabinet.
(3) After doing two coats of the silver and letting sit for a few hours it was time to create the pattern effect. Using the mint and lilac spray paint and a mesh hair net I created a mermaid fin pattern.
(4) To create the pattern place the hair net over a small section of the cabinet and lightly* spray. Use this technique to cover the entire cabinet.
*Spray at least a foot away from cabinet, may require an extra set of hands to hold hair net in place.
(5) With a critical eye look over cabinet to find any areas where the pattern is not clear and redo.
This project was simple and the final product is super cute. I plan to use this to in the "Make Your Own Headband" station.